Most Sundays at 9:15am. See LAYHAM SERVICES AND EVENTS for details.
St Andrew's was built around 1300, in stone and flint. The tower was rebuilt in 1742, using local brick but the nave arch of the original 13/14th century tower remains. The original flint and stone outer walls of the nave and chancel also survive.
Extensive renovation took place during the 19th century, including replacement of all the windows. Although the interior is essentially Victorian, there are several medieval features, in particular the 13th century font.
St Andrew's Church is situated in Lower Layham, with no direct vehicle access from Upper Layham - easiest vehicle access between Upper and Lower Layham is via Hadleigh. However, pedestrians/cyclists travelling from Upper Layham can use the footbridge by Layham Mill to cross the river Brett, and follow the path and lane leading to the Village Hall, Church and, for refreshments, the Queen's Head Inn.
|St. Mary's Church