The church and its surrounding buildings have inspired individuals in other fields including Thomas Gainsborough, John Constable, Henry Davy and JMW Turner.
The Deanery Tower (1495) (Grade1 listed 26/04/1950 No: 1194031)
The tower was intended to be the entrance to a large house for William Pykenham rector of Hadleigh 1469-1497 and archdeacon of Suffolk 1471-1497. The house was never completed and a medieval timber-framed open hall house functioned as a parsonage until the present deanery house (1830) was built by Hugh Rose, rector 1830-1833.
A very fine example of late 15th century brickwork. It is of red brick with black diapering, 43 ft high, 31 ft wide, flanked at the four corners by panelled and embattled turrets. The turrets on the east side are hexagonal and rise from the ground level, the turrets on the west side spring from a little way below the corbel table. The carved and moulded brick chimneys in early 16th century style were added in 1830. All the external brick panelling is decorated with trefoil-cusped heads. Over the entrance gateway are 2 storeys, the 1st with an oriel window on west side of 2 lights and surmounted by a brick cornice with trefoil-cusped work. The room has been used as a library and was panelled in 1730 by Dean Wilkins. There is a curious painting on plaster above the fireplace of the Church with the river and hills beyond, executed by a local artist Benjamin Coleman 1629. A small vaulted oratory with secret chamber is in the south east turret.
All the listed buildings in Church Walk form a group.
Hadleigh Market Feoffment Charity has held the beautiful Town Hall and Guildhall Complex in this historic Suffolk town in trust since 1438. Situated on the opposite side from the churchyard to St Mary's Church, this Grade 1 listed building has a number of magnificent rooms and halls.
The Guildhall Hall along the south side of the churchyard is built in timber-frame and plaster in contrast to the stone chuch and red brick deanery tower.